Compared to a traditional burial, paying for direct or basic cremation is actually much cheaper. Many people are now opting for cremation because there is no need to purchase a lot where the remains will be placed or even the casket which can cost that much.
But even if the price is lower, rates may vary according to the company that will carry out the task and the type of services that are chosen. When you are looking for a plan in case anything unexpected may happen, it is important to look into the cost first.
If you have decided to choose cremation over the traditional burial, then you should try to find companies that offer cremation services and funeral plans. But before signing contracts you need to examine the prevailing cost of cremation in your area and compare prices to other companies.
Points to Consider
• One of the factors that can affect the rate is the medium or the material where the body will be placed during the cremation process. A wooden box or something made of cardboard can be used. Usually, the material where the body will be burned into is included in the total cost.
• After the cremation process, you should also decide on what the family will do with the remains. This also affects the cremation costs because the vessel where the ashes will be placed might be included in the package. If an urn is already included, then this would reduce the other expenses outside the plan but if it is not counted in, then you have to rethink and consider other choices.
• Some people even opt for their ashes to be scattered in different places. This process can be done for free. But if you really want a special slot in an ash mausoleum, then you need to shell out a few thousand dollars.
• Once the ashes are ready, ask the company if the cost of delivering the ashes to the family is included.
• Cremation permits are needed in most states and there are certain fees that need to be paid. Ask the provider if these permits and a copy of the death certificate are included in the total cost too.
Always remember to inquire from different companies on what is included in their packages and plans and do not automatically go for the cheap ones.