Pre-planning your own funeral has a lot of advantages. Not only are you able to save a lot of money. You also save your loved ones a big bulk of stress from all the organizing that will come with your future service.
There are a lot of things to consider when planning your funeral. To make it easier for you, we’ve gathered everything you need to include in your future funeral checklist.
- Create a contact list including names, addresses and phone numbers of those who should be notified in a medical emergency or death.
- Contact details for Buchanan Funeral Service to care for you.
- Make notes of things you would like included in an obituary. Also, include where the obituary should appear.
Things to Consider
- Name of church
- Clergy to preside over service (name)
- Music? Vocal? Instrumental?
- Special musical selections?
- Would you like to have a visitation?
- Open casket? Closed casket?
- Funeral home preference?
- Names of pallbearers
- Memorial contributions
- If veteran, flag on casket? Folded?
- Location of cemetery property and deed
- Type of property: burial space/lawn crypt/mausoleum/niche
- Do you prefer burial or cremation?
- Do you have a cemetery lot? What is the location?
- What type or color of casket or urn type do you prefer?
- Would you like a vault?
- What type of service–religious, military, non-denominational?
- Who would the pallbearers be?
- What type of music or scripture or readings do you like and what type of flowers or colors do you prefer?
- Are there any speakers you would like to include?
- Do you want to choose a charity, church or organization to receive memorial donations in lieu of flowers?
- Provide your executor a copy of your Will.
- Also provide a list of important bank account information, telephone numbers for insurance policies, retirement plans, investments, safe-deposit boxes, properties and law firms.
- Remind your executor to call the Social Security Administration and if you are receiving benefits, such as from the Veteran’s Administration, they should be contacted as well.
- Designate a power of attorney to ensure information can be accessed in the event of illness or death. Ensure a durable power of attorney for health care and a living will are in place in the event you are unable to do so.
- If you have a pet, think about making arrangements on who will take care of it or find it a new home.
- Designate a manager for any online accounts such as email, social media or otherwise with instructions to sustain, delete and/or close.
- Pay for the cemetery plot, marker and services.
- Pay for funeral arrangements, transportation and clergy.
Some Personal Decisions
- I would like to have a traditional funeral service, followed by a burial.
- I would like to have a traditional funeral service, followed by cremation.
- I would like to have a traditional religious funeral service, followed by a burial.
- I would like to have a traditional religious funeral service, followed by cremation.
- My religious affiliation is:
- I would like to have only a graveside service, followed by the burial.
- I would like to have only a service at the crematory, followed by the cremation
- I would like to have a memorial service following the burial or cremation.
- I would like to have a funeral service in my own home.
- I would like to have a viewing before my funeral.
- I would like to have a wake before my funeral.
- I would like to have a visitation before my funeral.
- I would like to have a reception after my funeral.
- I would like to have a portion of the service honoring my military service.
- My military branch was:
- The post commander is:
- You can reach the commander at:
- I would like the funeral to be held at:
- The funeral director’s name is:
- The contact number for the funeral director is:
- I have/have not prearranged details for the casket with these people.
- I would like my final resting place to be:
- I have/have not prearranged details for the final resting place with these people.
- The contact number is:
- The person I would like to officiate the funeral is:
- My second choice would be:
- I would like these people to serve as pallbearers:
- I would like the following people to deliver eulogies:
- I would like the following people to be involved by delivering prayers, poems or other readings:
- I would like these verses or readings to be delivered:
- I would like these pieces of music to be played or sung: